Friday, 27 January 2012

Decorating Children's Bedrooms- For the Girls

Hello,

I don't know about you but when I was a small girl, most children in Ireland had plain bedrooms (late 70s/early 80s). You sort of got whatever was leftover, or whatever fitted in your room. There wasn't too much in the way of making children's rooms into the magical dreamworlds they are today.
Obviously there wasn't have the choice we have today and childrens things were much more expensive and of course we view raising children differently today.
Since I had my children I put effort into making their bedrooms a little magical, its fun and it won't be long before they stick posters all over the walls!
Some of the Bunting I Make

As a woman with a budget I have tried to find some thrifter ways of making children's rooms individual for them. 



On the left is a cute vintage picture I picked up in a charity shop. The main thing if you are doing this is to clean the item thoroughly! Usually these are dusty and musty. I take the whole thing apart, take the back off and the glass out. Give it all a good clean and wash the glass in washing up liquid. Sometimes I find these pictures have what looks like masking tape on the back which can be easily taken off and replaced.  The picture on the right was a two euro bargain from Heatons. The frame was a dodgy wood colour so I gave it a quick coat with a colour tester.
Homebase actually have free testers at the moment - Dulux Paint Pod range so grab a few if you are in!



The Butterflys are in fact Christmas Decorations that I hung at the bottom of an Ikea shelf to give it a bit of life. These were 20cent a piece after Christmas one year.
Yes thats a Sindy house, am totally reliving my childhood as this is the house I drooled over! Have to stop myself rearranging it, ha ha.

These curtains were another charity store bargain. I lined them with blackout blinds. I hung bunting accross the window, this was the first I ever made so the sewing is a bit off in places but she doesnt mind!

Here is a quote from Jim Trelease:
The prime purpose of being four is to enjoy being four
of secondary importance is to prepare for being five

Boys room to follow,
Take care and happy decorating,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment