Friday, 11 January 2013

Girl's Room Makeover - How to Do a Tree Mural

Hello,

Still busy cleaning up after Christmas, and doing all those jobs that have been ignored for the last few months and all those new years ones too! Hopefully I'll get some time to sew tomorrow, I have lots of new things pinned and ready to be sewn, can't wait!
As my daughter's Christmas present I promised her a room makeover. She was three the last time it was done, so three years later there has been a lot of growing! We were watching Kirstie's Vintage Home together and were very inspired by a tree mural made from wallpaper and wood that was done as part of a girl's bedroom. Thus inspired we created our own version:





It goes from floor to ceiling and it looks so bright and cheerful in the room. I drew the tree with pencil on the wall, then next I painted it in a gloss brown colour. I went for gloss to make it a little more sparkly and light reflective. Once that had dried it was time for the gold paint (on sale in Homebase) which again added to the sparkly effect. Once all had dried it was time to add the flowers. We got a large amount of wallpaper samples (totally free!) and cut out many different colours. This was time consuming but worth it. I used a ready mixed wallpaper paste and pasted each flower/bird/leaf on the wall.
 
Next up was time for butterflies. We used some stickers that I bought a couple of years ago in Monsoon, these are the pink and purple see through ones. And then we popped in "Little Surprises" on Tullow Street in Carlow where you can buy little stick on butterflies in many colours, from 42cents! So overall we bought, butterfly stickers, brown gloss paint, small tin of gold paint, wallpaper paste and a couple of brushes(Euro26 in total!). Needless to say, my daughter was delighted with the result! I did offer to switch rooms with her but she refused.... Not to be outdone, small boy insisted on his own version with yes, tractors and combines and apple trees.
 
The room makeover is still in progress, next up a pom pom garland! Am off to the sewing machine now while I still have a few minutes to myself, have a great weekend,
all the best,
Maria

2 comments:

  1. Ooh that's lovely...I thought it looked like the Kirsties Vintage Homes one before I read that it was your inspiration...I'm not surprised your daughter loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thank you! I loved the Kirstie Vintage Home programme, it gave us the push to start the room makeover. Next up its pinboards!

    ReplyDelete