Sunday, 27 January 2013

How to make a Fabric Noticeboard and Mark Twain quote

Morning!

A stormy morning here in Carlow, Ireland. The wind is very strong and blowing all sorts around the garden, if its not heavy its on the move!! The electricity went out for a couple of minutes last night so I now have candles strategically placed around the house just in case. You only appreciate electricity when it goes out!!!

I finished the two fabric noticeboards I was working on and am delighted with the end result.

I love this Mark Twain quote, I got this free postcard over a decade ago and I've had it hanging ever since. Its the kind of quote that motivates you to get something done! It reminds me to always give things a try and not worry about failing. It was the first thing I added to the noticeboard.
 
To make the noticeboard, you need a plain noticeboard, some fabric, in this case Michael Miller atomic print, some padding/wadding (only necessary if you want a padded one), pins, stapler, ribbon.
 
 
 
Simply measure out your fabric by placing noticeboard on top of fabric and cut around (leaving extra inches for securing on the back, go with more rather than less). Then take your noticeboard and add padding to top (cut to fit) and add fabric on top. Turn over and roughly pin into place at back. Now turn back around to check fabric is straight. If you are happy turn back around and staple around the edges.
Turn back to the front and decide on your ribbon patterns. Pull nice and tight. You can staple at back or pin at back depending on if you want to adjust in the future. At the front you can pin where the ribbons meet so that pop your pictures/paper in securely. Turn back over and cover the messy staples/pins with wide ribbon or wide tape.
 
 
And the finished result, now I need to adjust the ribbon on the top corner.. Easy and cheap and a lot more stylish than my usual stuck on the fridge look!
 
Hope you have a lovely Sunday,
Take care,
Maria

3 comments:

  1. What a delightful board!
    Mark Twain has so many wonderful quotes, too!!

    So nice to meet you through Etsy’s Blogging Buddies Team.
    I am your newest blog follower! :)

    All the best,
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comments. Welcome Mary and I am going to visit you now! All the best, Maria

    ReplyDelete