Saturday, 23 February 2013

Dolls Bedding & Patchwork Blanket for Ikea Dolls Bed

Hello,

Now the website is up I can finally attend to some neglected crafting jobs. I've made lots of Barbie sleeping bags and Barbie size items over the last few months and now the bigger dolls are feeling left out in the cold (sorry, sorry couldn't help it).

Sleeping bag sets for sale on www.lollipopsdaydreams.com

I decided last year to make a dolls blanket for a large dolls bed, one of the Ikea size ones. I even wrote about it on my blog last May and then shame on me I didn't finish it.

The idea was to make a blanket using this one below as inspiration (a dolls blanket from about the 1960s from the US). It was put together with a lot of love and I wanted to do the same for my daughter.

So what I did was cut up lots of tiny squares of fabric each measuring 3in by 3in. Note at this stage I am clearly not a patchwork expert and this is an experiment! As I make dolly cushions, I do buy smaller prints just for that purpose so I mixed some of these in with "normal" size prints.



Then I arranged them like the picture below to make a nice arrangement of colours, not having the same squares/colours too close together.

So here's the squares I cut out and neatly arranged to make a blanket. Next up I numbered each row and then carefully put them into piles (one for each row).

 
I then put these on a table and two days later the pile had fallen on the floor and they all got mixed up. Ahh!! These things happen and it wasn't the end of the world so I rearranged the squares.
I took it row by row and sewed each square to the one next to it. So on the first row of eight squares I sewed 1 to 2, 3 to 4, 5 to 6 , 7 to 8, and so on until the row of eight was together.
I didn't worry to much about each square being equi-distant to the next one, it is a doll's blanket after all!
I'll be back with the next steps in my next post, finishing the blanket today!
Have a great weekend,
Maria 
 

7 comments:

  1. That's a great way to do a patchwork blanket - and you've cut out two stages to reach the same end! Why didn't I think of it myself, when I was into quilting that is! Found full size ones got too heavy for my hands to cope with, so now I'm doing the toys, using up the off cuts etc. that way!

    Hope your daughter likes her new doll's blanket - and more importantly, that her doll does too!

    Isobel: www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Isobel, I hope they aren't important stages! I would love to learn patchworking some day, I am doing a sort of brick effect more than a patchwork I think!
    I hope so to, its nearly done now.
    All the best,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! the colours you have chosen are so pretty too :)

    Bee happy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maria, my 3.5 year old isn't playing with dolls too much. But I'd say she will start soon. Looking forward to see finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so creative!:)I love these small sleeping bags for Barbie:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your lovely comments! xx Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your lovely blog.....I was searching for dolls bedding as I'm going to attempt to make a patch work quilt for the dolls cot my 1 year old is getting for Christmas and ta da I found your blog! I'll let you know if i complete it in time.

    ReplyDelete