Friday, 26 April 2013

1930s and 1940s Fabrics , vintage quilt top

Hello,
Another sunny/rainy/hailstones near summer day in Ireland! Working on lots of little projects at the moment, cushions for a shop in Dublin (very very exciting!), some wedding bunting (a sample) and lots of other works in progress. Its been awhile since I made anything for the house so I wanted to make something special.
I adore the 1920s and anything Art Deco, and always totally ignored the 1930s and anything sort of Arts and Crafts movements. It is hard to compete with the glamour of Art Deco. Then last year I bought some fab fabric from the US, not realising it was a reproduction of a 1930s fabric.
Then I spotted this unfinished quilt top online and had to have it!



Its estimated to be from the 1930s/40s. Either way its at least 60 years old. Its made from a mix of florals and gingham fabrics. Theres patches where fabric must have been running out so little bits (not straight, clearly scraps) have been sewn together to create a patch. Its about the size of a single bed. I am not sure it can have been used much if at all as it is in such good condition. Its been washed and needs an iron!
I am now trying to decide what to do next with it. Should I finish it as is? Or should I take it apart and put it back together adding in extra bits of fabric? I'll have to think about it a bit more as I want to do it justice. Any suggestions or advice most appreciated!
Have a fab weekend,
Maria
PS Am going to treat myself to a book on the history of fabric!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Maria love your post and your new find. Will you be using period fabric for the repairs? Is there such a place where you can get deco material. Am looking forward to see what you do with your new purchase. Will bookmark your site now. Eve x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eve, Welcome and thank you! Yes I think I'll have to use the genuine fabric and do it properly. The original maker put such effort into it I'd love to complete it and keep it true to the time period. Yes there's some to be found on ebay and etsy. And just to make it a little harder I am going to make it kingsize!!! x

      Delete
  2. Hi Maria, looks lovely, have you decided yet? Hope you post your finished quilt or whatever you come up with. Always wanted to do a quilt (have never used a sewing machine)... did make curtains before (hand stitched)so one day maybe I will.... I know where to come for advice ;0) Enjoy your blogs and love what you do.... are you still doing the party packs (aprons etc?) if so I could link to you on my website (if you want?). Keep up the lovely blogs, Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Naomi, I will of course, it may take some time as I want to research the fabrics and source some authentic ones before I start! You can pick up a very easy to use sewing machine in Ikea for very little, onto youtube and you'll be sewing in no time!! Thank you for the lovely compliaments!! Yes I am and that would be lovely and I'll be happy to add yours into mine! I actually did a baking party for my daughter last week, and intend to pop up some tips this week! Thanks and all the best,

      Delete