Saturday, 21 September 2013

Foraging in the Garden, apples & blackberry time

Hello,

What a glorious day today, where did that heat come from? A perfect day for some foraging for food in the garden! We planted a few apple trees two years ago and this year is the first year there is something worth picking. I choose a variety of apple trees, cooking and eating, early and late season. Hopefully in a few years we'll have a huge crop!
Next up berries, I am not sure what these berries are called, like yellow raspberries? If you know be sure to tell me the name.
Finally, we found some hidden blackberries. As we live in the countryside we have a native hedgerow that produces a bountiful supply of blackberries. Before we built the hedgerow had been cut back roughly every year and it had four huge gaps in it that had served as building site entrances. We planted a small number of plants to help it along but in the most part the plants have spread naturally, especially the blackberries.
We've been eating them for a month and a half now so this will probably be one of the last batches this year. Blackberry and apple crumble in the oven right now, oh yum. This is the inside of the eating apples, oh my the taste!
So patience is the key when growing apple trees, but totally worth it.
Next up I am trying to re-organise our composting. Between being pregnant and then baby being small and now he is nearly one its time to get things in order again. We have a composter , one of those big blank plastic things which I find to be totally useless. If anyone has any composter tips please do let me know! We were thinking about building one out of wood?
Have a great evening and happy foraging!
Maria

10 comments:

  1. Yum on the blackberries and apple crumble!

    Yellow raspberries might be Anne or Goldie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious, yum yum! I must look up those names, thank you!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely crop! We got a composter from Lidl and found it great. They usually get them in every few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, I must keep an eye out. I investigated our old composter and inside was the most perfect compost. The problem is the whole thing tends to come apart if there is a really strong wind!

      Delete
  3. Your crops are fantastic! WOW! I wish we had a spot for an apple tree!!! And as for the com poster...we have a plastic round tumbler but it did not get adequate sun this year. My garden is very shady so new plans are in the works as to where he is going!! My Pop has a wood bin composter that he built. It works wonderfully for him as he has land as well! Here is to working in the garden! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I looked up the wood bin composter and I am going to try to build one! I found a book that has a plan so I getting the wood next week and gonna give it a go!!

      Delete
  4. love it. I'm suitably jealous of your garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you saw the weeds you wouldn't be , ha ha!

      Delete
  5. I wish we had room for an apple tree in our backyard. Our previous house did but the backyard in this house is too small. I am so happy that you visited my blog because now I am able to follow yours. You are my first blog friend from Ireland which makes me so excited because I love connecting with people from all over the world. We visited Ireland 4 years ago and it's one of my favorite places! Especially loved Galway and the Connemara area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Well I am delighted to be your first blog friend from Ireland, I am sure I wont be the last! I love the West of Ireland too, its so scenic and the people are lovely. Welcome!

      Delete