Sunday, 1 September 2013

Girls Dresses and the search for inspiration continues...

Hello,

I was listening to a speech recently and the guy giving it was speaking about inspiration. He was urging people to seek inspiration everywhere and to travel. With three little people and a wonky budget, just talking off to say Barcelona for the weekend is in the past (for the moment only I hope!) so I was a little skeptical. Until of course I realised you don't have to look too far for inspiration, you just have to look around, as simple as that! Then I remembered I had a small collection of vintage patterns and magazines so time to take another look at them.

This is a French magazine from 1923. I bought it a few years ago when I was thinking about making girl's dresses and that was put on the back shelf. I love the 1920s style so this magazine is a treat, all I need is a translator!!
And possibly the patterns.
How fab is this?
I also came across a cool Diane Von Furstenburg pattern for a dress which I am going to have to try, might have to work my way up to it!
I also did a little research on 1960s dresses for children and completed this one, and here's my 1960s style dress for girls. Its made from Cath Kidston fabric (a little different to her usual ones!) and a contrasting blue inside the sleeves. 

Next up a stripey number.
Have a great day,
Maria


13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful find!! I love vintage patterns and sewing notions. That little dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! I love the vintage patterns too, the illustrations are always fab.

      Delete
  2. That dress is adorable! I'm well aware of how traveling provides inspiration but it also take the mind elsewhere and, once back, re-focus is a bit of a challenge! I agree, inspiration must come from what surrounds us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Its true , inspiration comes from anywhere and everywhere!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful 20s magazine. If I had it I'd be giving myself a headache trying to read it, and understanding about one word in twenty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid my French is about the same, I had to google some translations!

      Delete
  4. Thought I recognised the red fabric, love the dress and the mag :) love anything French :)

    Bee happy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I like it so much!!!!do u want to follow each other!?
    CHIC STREET CHOC
    FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magazine looks very special and worth to treasure. Love the dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI!!!! Oh my your blog is fantastic!!! Thank you so much for popping by my blog so that now I can follow along with you!!! That dress you made is absolutely adorable! And your French magazine is awesome! I love everything that has a history to it. It reminds me of a more simple time!! And as far as living the "life" you are so right...just look around you and create it! I have 3 beans and traveling at this point is minimal...one day right?!?! I look forward to following along with you! Cheers! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, thank you and welcome! Yes one day indeed I agree! All the best, Maria

      Delete
  8. That dress is divine...and its nice to see the unusaul fabric from ck too....Daisy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes I wouldn't pick it out as being Cath Kidston at all, but I like it!

      Delete