Monday, 20 January 2014

Map Wall Finished, Toddler room upgraded

Hello,

What a lovely sunny day it was in Ireland today. I might have to put my sunglasses back into my handbag at this rate. My planned map wall for the smallest one's room is finished, yeah! Ta da:::

I had an old Oxford Concise Atlas, which I managed to get from a library for one euro a few years ago. It was a library where we used to live in Co. Kildare and each week they sold off older books as they were replacing with new. (Co. Carlow libraries don't seem to have that level of funding!). The atlas was an old reference book and barely read so perfect for the map wall. I had no plan for the layout when I started. I mixed up the continents and the colours. I added to the wall using my miracle double sided sticky tape. I had to give up a few times as himself thought it would be a great idea if he came up the ladder too! Delighted with the result, total cost was 4euro.

This is a little mix of pictures I rearranged for over his bed. The teddy bear frame was a charity shop find and I repainted the frame on it before. The airplanes picture is a piece of fabric in an embroidery hoop (have cushions in this fabric for sale in my etsy shop). The "Boy" frame I made and the little picture on the bottom right was from a bargain bin in the antiques fair, cleaned up and added a ribbon.


These globes were Christmas decorations I spotted in TK Maxx and I thought they would be great in one of the boys rooms and not on the tree at all. I might attached them to the wall later on.

Very blurry pic, sorry! The butterfly picture is from "Forgotten Pages" on etsy and the frame over the teddies head is actual "gemstones of the world". My late father had this and it is all tiny samples of different stones, I think it fits in perfectly with the new wall and I love that this and the teddy below where things my dad bought.

Another blurry shot!!! This will be smallest one's bed when he moves out of his cot, its a 1940's bed-frame which has had a new base added. I need to change the curtains and bunting next.
Now to figure out what to do in my daughter's room!
Have a great day,
All the best,
Maria


17 comments:

  1. I love this idea for a bedroom. I have a globe in my boys room but a wall of old maps would look amazing xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you even though I can't claim it was my original idea!! I would love to get a globe too, I've been looking forever for the right one.

      Delete
  2. The map wall is so gorgeous friend! I love the arch of the ceiling and how the maps go all the way up! I will have to remember that double sided tape! And the bed is fantastic! A job well done indeed!!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! We did away with an attic space so we could have the higher ceilings in the bedrooms so they all have little curves or shapes, not good for hanging blinds though!! Yes highly recommend double sided tape.

      Delete
  3. Great job Maria, lovely bits n pieces to create the whole vibe of the room. You are so crafty. Enjoyed your post. Eve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunshine today again! Get those sun glasses ready I'd say! :) Beautiful ideas and great result!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely room, I would have loved looking at all those maps and dreaming of where I wanted to go when I was little, I'm sure your boy will too!

    http://secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk/ (By the way, I have a new blog!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, problem is now I am dreaming of where to go instead of him!!! I shall have to check out your new blog now.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love this maps wall ..and you know what ?...I'm seeing a quilt whit maps fabrics...ha ha ha
    Happy sunny days..they are coming soon !
    (sorry delete )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be a fab quilt! Now I am thinking about one too.

      Delete