Monday, 30 January 2017

Wizard of Oz Inspiration for Spring Summer 2017



I loved the Wizard of Oz movie growing up. There was something so magical about it. From Dorothy, to the moving from the black and white world to the amazing colours of Oz, the songs, the characters. It had everything! It was also a little terrifying (those flying monkeys), but still magical.





The blue gingham dress is one that has always stayed in my mind. As has many of the images from the movie. Lollipops and Daydreams anyone? The Lollipop kids surely have a permanent place in my subconscious.




When I began to work on my SS17 collection gingham was firmly in my mind. I sourced a lovely 100% cotton version in a few colours and I've used it in a number of skirts and also on tops and dresses.

Lollipops & Daydreams started with making children's soft furnishings and for this year I am bringing in a new home range for children. The boys range is very much inspired by vintage images of old fashioned cars, toys and planes and I've used gingham also on a number of the cushions.

The contrast of the classic gingham with the land of Oz is also quite striking in the movie. And I couldn't resist a few brightly coloured rainbow prints for summer.



When I think of gingham I am also reminded of a 1930s quilt top I bought a number of years ago. It was from the US and mixed gingham in many colours with some very vibrant florals, see post here.2013/04/1930s-and-1940s-fabrics-vintage-quilt.html



All these influences together are behind the Lollipops and Daydreams new collection, those and a few I had to add in just because they were too beautiful not too! Our new collection is live next week.

Bye for now
Maria




No comments:

Post a Comment